Articles You May Find Interesting
Finally, a cooking escapade with only a modicum of drama, and with universally admired results. This time I chose to eschew any real recipe and do two simple things that still intimidated me even...
Winter time is a great time for a hot breakfast ... These days I gravitate toward whole grains. To me, they taste better than refined ones, but they’re also antioxidant-packed and high in fiber. So...
Full disclosure: I had a bit of help with this week’s cooking escapade. You see, I spent the weekend at my parent’s house in the suburbs, and the bountiful harvest in their refrigerator was a big...
Wow your friends and relatives during the holiday season with these easy-to-make Phyllo Appetizer Bites! Phyllo cups can be made up to a week prior, and filled before serving. Makes 24 shells total.
PHYLLO CUP INGREDIENTS:
PHYLLO CUP INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons Smart Balance® Original Buttery Spread
6 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
3 tablespoons Smart Balance® Original Buttery Spread
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup Smart Balance® Fat Free Milk and Omega-3s
2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
¼ cup diced cooked turkey or chicken breast meat
2 tablespoons frozen green peas, thawed
¼ cup roasted red peppers
Dash cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley, optional
TO MAKE PHYLLO CUPS:
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees F
2. Place buttery spread in a small microwave safe bowl and cook on high setting 20 seconds or until just melted.
3. Work with one sheet at a time; keep the remaining sheets covered in plastic wrap or a slightly damp paper towel.
4. Brush one side of the phyllo very lightly with the Smart Balance® Buttery Spread.
5. Place one sheet of the phyllo on top of the just brushed phyllo.
6. Repeat until you have 4 sheets total.
7. Cut into 3 inch squares.
8. In a 24-cup mini muffin pan, place the 3 inch squares to fit the tin, pressing in the edges slightly.
9. Bake 5 minutes or until golden.
10. Remove from tin and cool completely.
11. Repeat with remaining phyllo squares.
TO MAKE FILLING:
1. Heat the Smart Balance® Buttery Spread in a medium skillet over medium heat.
2. Whisk in flour, slowly whisk in the Smart Balance® Milk and bouillon granules.
3. Bring to a boil, and continue boiling 1 full minute.
4. Remove from heat, stir in the remaining ingredients, except the parsley.
5. If desired, sprinkle parsley on top of phyllo bites.
Makes 24 filled shells total.
[Smart Balance addition] – Smart Balance estimates the following nutritional content for this user-created recipe:
Per serving (tart shell included in analysis):
1g saturated fat
0 grams trans fat
1g polyunsaturated fat
1g monounsaturated fat
75mg Omega-3 fatty acids
570mg Omega-6 fatty acids