12 grade A large eggs
6 tablespoons loose black tea leaves
3 tablespoons star anise, in pieces (available in Asian markets, specialty food stores and spice stores)
- Place grade A large eggs in large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, lower heat and cook for 10 minutes, or until eggs are hard-boiled.
- Chill under cold running water. Tap each egg lightly on flat surface to make a web of small cracks all over the shell.
- Place grade A large eggs in large saucepan. Add tea, star anise and 2 tablespoons salt. Cover with cold water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook, with cover askew, for about 2 hours. Let grade A large eggs cool in liquid.
- Peel eggs. Cut in half lengthwise and place flat side down on large white plate or platter.