You already know that living an active life is critical for a healthy heart. In fact, it lowers your heart disease risk from head to toe. The good news is that it doesn’t take much to reap the benefits of regular cardio. The American Heart Association and American College of Sports Medicine recommend getting at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity (the equivalent of a brisk walk) five days of each week—or vigorous aerobic activity (jogging, for instance) for at least 20 minutes on three days. Even better, you can meet that 30-minute goal by breaking up your activity into 10-minute bouts. Rev up your activity level with the following 10-minute exercise suggestions from Larysa DiDio, a personal trainer and owner of PFX Gym in Pleasantville, New York. They all count toward your daily goal, and you'll get a calorie-burning boost as well:
- Dance to your favorite songs (54 calories)
- Go for a walk with a friend or your spouse after dinner (38 calories)
- Play a game of of tag with your kids or grandkids (46 calories)
- Challenge your spouse to a game of badminton (52 calories)
- Work in the garden with a shovel (46 calories)
- Sit on a physioball instead of a chair when working at your computer (28 calories)
- Walk your dog (32 calories)
- Push your child or grandchild in a stroller (28 calories)
- Jump on a mini trampoline (such as the Bosu) in front of the TV (40 calories)
More Articles You May Find Interesting
Take a step back in time and revisit the days of step aerobics. Look around your house for a step that suits your fitness level: a foot rest, the first step on the staircase, or even the curb outside...
Daylight and weather can often affect your workout routine. When it’s dark or the weather is nasty, many people choose to take their workouts inside; but you can still have a safe and effective...
He was playing his saxophone in the Birmingham Alabama church orchestra when the first signs of trouble developed: a pulsating jaw and intermittent back pain. A little while later, sitting in the...